The prophetic is powerful and when flowing from a pure place lives are changed, people are healed, many are delivered, and hearts will turn towards the Lord. However, somewhere along the way as the prophetic has been embraced more in the church the appropriate teaching has not always implemented. Strong biblical teachings that will ensure that people have an understanding of how God speaks and His true heart and intent for the prophetic. Believers must have a strong biblical foundation so that they are not misled, manipulated, or completely bamboozled.
Because accurate information can be mesmerizing for many it is important to realize that there are some that are using the prophetic in ways that are in disagreement with God's word. A lot of people are desperate and will overlook inconsistencies, and red flags as long as they are receiving what they believe is valid divine information. This attitude has allowed an influx of false teachers and phony prophets to infiltrate the Church while many are unaware and clueless.
Below I have listed 5 ways that the prophetic is currently being misused.
1. Sowing Seeds of Discord - I cannot tell you how many times people have used discernment, a bad feeling, or a dream/vision to plant subtle seeds against other believers under the guise of prophetic warnings and counsel. It's sad but true that people have and do plant seeds of discord passing it off as being prophetic. Wicked people have caused many to turn away and against people that they should have embraced.
2. Control - The prophetic should point God's people back to Him and not towards the vessel. It is unfortunate that people will use their prophetic abilities to control other people especially those that lack confidence and do not hear God for themselves. Naive people that have itching ears are prime candidates to this type of manipulation. Some leaders will insist that no one hears from God better than they do. They will tell people that they cannot and are not hearing from God in order to keep God's people reliant on them. This type of abuse is why many give up on the prophetic, or even leave the faith.
3. Marketing- The prophetic is so powerful but I am afraid that in some circles it is being cheapened and treated as a marketing tool. Some people see the prophetic as simply another way to build a platform, post a $cash app, and draw a crowd. Because of how much people love the prophetic and want to hear divine information it is easier to use being "prophetic" as a marketing technique rather than taking the time and the years to allow God to process you and build a ministry that honors and glorifies Him. Our motives and intention when prophesying are just as important as what we are releasing and calling the word of the Lord.
4. A Sign of Spiritual Maturity - The ability to prophesy and release accurate information does not imply that a person is spiritually mature. Spiritual maturity will not be found simply in years of salvation, memorized scriptures or church jargon. Spiritual maturity can be found in seasons of serving, years of preparation, character, integrity, a life of holiness and a strong consistent walk with the Lord over time. There are people that are eager to prophesy while lacking stability in their personal life and relationships. Many claim to have a prophetic ministry while lacking stamina and maturity in prayer. Some over emphasize the prophetic because they are in need to be taught and do not have the ability to adequately teach the word of God.
5. A stream of income - Over the years I have heard scriptures; misused, abused, and overused in the name of getting people to sow a seed. [Example: Sow your seed of $2020 in order to receive God's blessing and favor on your life]. We cannot buy the things of God even though many are trying to sell them. I absolutely believe in consistently sowing on good ground and into ministries. But I do not believe in abuse and manipulation. It is wicked to demand payment for dream interpretation and prophetic words.
There is a great purifying coming to the prophetic movement because many have taken what is divine and holy and cheapened it for their own gain. Let us all be sober in knowing that one day we will stand before a Holy God and give an account for all that we have done. If you have not already check out my Vlog post >> The Kingdom Cannot Be Bought